Small Business 101

I started Bows & Kites on a hot summer night (okay - not that hot, but San Francisco hot standards) in 2013. Honestly, I never thought B&K would get to where it is now. I came in to the market knowing that were a lot of competitors. I needed to set my shop and brand apart to attract customers and makes sales. Recently, I received a few emails from girls asking me for advice about opening up a new shop. It's not easy running a small business and everyday is a learning experience. I wanted to share a few tips. 

Marketing
Using different social media channels (Youtube, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, etc) is a great way to build your brand. My favorite way to market my products and interact with my customers is through Instagram. Take (good) photos of your products and share it with your intended audience by using hashtags. 

Branding Through Photography
There are good product photos and there are bad product photos. Believe me, if you want to stand out, you do not want your photos categorized in the latter. You do not need a fancy-schmancy camera to take good photos. When shoppers are searching for products, they'll compare your products alongside products from another shop. In most situations, that shopper will pick the product with the better photo. 

Some shop owners use watermarks on their product photos. On the first few months, my products had a B&K logo. Recently, I took out my watermark and I really regret it. This weekend, I was searching on Etsy and Storenvy and I found out that another bow shop was using my pictures for their product photos. This is a big no-no. 

Testimonials 
Use your customer testimonials to your advantage! Read what your customers are saying about your product and their suggestions. Reading my customers' reviews made me put out different options for hair clips. 

Got negative reviews? Don't sweat it! Every shop gets negative reviews. You are not alone. When I first had my dollar sale, I had a few customers leave me negative reviews because of the long turn around time. Circle back with those customers and ask them how you can improve and make their shop experience better. These customers were so glad that I checked back with them and because of this, they still purchase items from my shop. Here's another good lesson: Be clear about your production and shipping time so your customers know what to expect.

Set Goals
Set goals for yourself and your business. Where do you see your business in five months? One year? Don't feel defeated if you don't make your sales goal. Even big businesses like Walmart or Target don't meet their daily sales goal. Set goals to make better products or interact with customers more. The sales will come when your customers see how passionate you are about your work. Be proud of your products! 

If you are a small business owner, what is one important lesson that you wished someone passed along to you?
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment