Lesson Learned

With summer orders picking up and more work demands, I've been stressed out recently. Balancing a small business and a full time job is tough to do. I started my small business last year. I used to get ten orders a month and back then, it was easier to keep up. Over the past few months, B&K has grown and changed in ways I never could have imagined. There were so many times when I questioned what I was doing and if it was all worth it.

I think most small business owners struggle with balancing their shop, full time job and personal life. If you haven't experienced this yet, it is bound to happen. When I get home from my job, I start working on my B&K orders. I come home sometimes and I'm so burnt out. I chose a very competitive market so it is important to stay current and active. There are tons of shops out there and it is difficult to set your shop apart when everyone is selling the same thing.

Even with all the stress and drama, I don't think I can ever walk away from B&K.  I love what I do. I love being my own boss and setting my own hours. When people buy my products, I feel accomplished. I think people who have the same competing demands never truly find that balance. Instead, I think they have embraced it. It is fine to have "bad stress" and meltdowns. You just have to pick yourself up by your boot straps and reflect on the positive. Seeing my bows pop up all over the US makes this whole things worthwhile. There is always going to be a long list of things that I need to do. There is absolutely no way I can do everything. I've learned to take breaks and step away from both jobs once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment